- Industrial Design ServedProject Featured On:Industrial Design Served — 4/6/11
- Furniture ServedProject Featured On:Furniture Served — 12/6/12
RELOAD - INNOVATION WITH WASTE
Innovation with Waste
- This project is based on the process of Up-cycling. The term “up-cycling” is quite different and is preferable when compared to “recycling” and “reusing”
Through the process of ‘Up cycling’ the material that is usually thought of as waste ends up being used with a different function and purpose in order to increase the life of the material.
The main intention of this project is to design products, specifically furniture using waste materials that are easily available. Some of the main scrap yards in Bangalore and Coimbatore have been a great resource for materials. _
- Scrap Yard
- Concept 1 - Classic Scooter Chair
This was the first concept that I decided to prototype, it is also the first chair that I have designed and produced. Since the Bajaj Scooter Chassis is a well known form and is easily available in the scrap yards, I used it to create my first prototype.
- Concept 2 - Rim Stool
This concept has a simple and cheap production process. The raw materials (scrap bike rims) were easily available in the scrap yards and are shapes that most people recognise or associate with.
- Concept 3 - Rim Centre Table
Here I have made sure that the table can be easily dismantled and assembled for two reasons, one of them being the option of powder coating the parts sepratly and the other reason is so that it dose not take up space and is easy to transport.
- Concept 4 - Rim Chair
This concept just like the previous concept has bike rims for legs and can be dismantled for the same reasons